About Us

Holy Cross School is a Christian Minority Educational Institution established, administered and run by the Catholic Church. The school had a very humble beginning. A group of Canadian Missionaries came to Silchar around 1947 & resided at Ghaniala Basti, Malugram and started a residential Khasi Medium School for the villagers devoid of educational facilities. In 1956 they shifted their residence to Rangirkhari where the present Holy Cross boys hostel is situated. Later in 1966 the Khasi Medium School was switched to English Medium School at the request of the local people of Silchar. It was opened on the 17th of January 1966, under the patronage of Rev. Msgr. George Breen, C.S.C. former Prefect Apostolic of Halflong which later tool shape in the hands of Fr. Martin CSC, Fr. Charles Descary CSC & bro. Reginald who became the main architects behind all the financial and organizational planning. Brothers Gerard CSC was appointed as the first Principal of the infant school which had classes from KG-IV with 150 students. In the same year Rev. Msgr. Breen CSC approached Mother Macrina, Superior General of the Bethany sisters, to send sisters to the new mission.

Bethany sisters had come to Kolasib, Mizoram in 1962 the first house in the North East bett. Silchar became their second mission with the arrival of Rev. Mother Sylvine, Sr. Hariette & Sr. Andry on 26th June 1966.

In 1970, the Holy Cross foreign missionaries had to leave Silchar for good. Then Holy Cross was entrusted to Bishop Denzil D’Souza, the first Bishop of Silchar Deocise. Mother Sylvine was appointed as the Principal of the growing School. By her dedicated service for long 13 years she endeared herself to the parents & students alike. In 1972 Sr. Evangeline replaced Mother Sylvine. During her term the first batch consisting of 8 students answered the H.S.L.C. Exam under SEBA as private candidate & came out successful.

Once again from 1973 to 1980 Mother Sylvine continued shouldering the responsibility of the Principal. In 1980 she had to leave Silchar as she was elected as the Superior General of Bethany Congregation.

Sr. Ida was appointed as the Principal for a short term of one year. From 1981 to 1985 Se. Jyoti, 1985 to 1987 Sr. Rose Celive. Since then many more sisters shouldered the responsibility of Principal like Sr. Canisia, Sr. Edleburg, Sr. Fabronia , Sr. Sarita, Sr. Gesette and at present Sr. Carol.

The school is a boon to the children of remote villages who lack educational facilities. Hostel accommodation is provided to girls and boys. Ample opportunities are provided in the school for the all- round development of the students. Students participate in various competitions conducted at Inter-school & district level. Science Exhibitions are held every year to inculcate scientific ‘thinking & reasoning’

Since the day of its inception, Holy Cross School, Silchar has carneb the confidence & love of the guardians and the students in imparting quality education in the field of secondary education. This Catholic School, having the total strength of about 1500 students, is acknowledged as the centre of excellence for grooming the young boys & girls physically, intellectually, mentally and spiritually. The Management Committee and the School authority always give due weightage to the valued suggestions of the guardians, its alumni & the well wishers. It is the persistent demand of these people which enthused the authority to start Higher Secondary Science Section is Holy Cross School in the preliminary level and accordingly requisite infrastructure has already been built up depending on internal resources & the benevolent gesture of the well-wishers.

The beautiful landscape, wide space, well built up classrooms, the sophisticated laboratories with all their appliances, disciplined atmosphere, the dedicated services of the teaching & non-teaching staff and round-the-clock vigilance and care of the authority are the precious possessions depending on which the school has opened a new chapter in the field of Higher Secondary education in this southern part of Assam.

The chief aim of the school is to enable individuals to know and develop to the fullest, their physical, mental, social, moral and spiritual potentialities. It strives to promote patriotism, spirit of national integration pride in our cultural heritage & a scientific outlook. Fellowship, team spirit, service & dignity of labour is given its importance along with intellectual pursuits. It is the holy endeavour of Holy Cross School to keep alive the motto ‘Let Your Light Shine’ i.e. illumination of self for the elevator of the world as a whole in its broader perspective.

Memorandum of Association